If you have any questions that are not listed below please call our design staff for assistance at 843-237-4704. Questions or comments can also be sent by email on the contact page.
Question: How can I have a Custom Area Rug made?Answer: We offer design services and will work with you to create Area Rugs for your home, business and budget.
Question: What kind of rugs can be made?Answer: We offer many options. These include: Hand tufted in any size, shape and colors, bordered and inset rugs, shapes, bound naturals, rag rugs, and custom hand knotted rugs from persia.
Question: Are seagrass and natural fiber rugs available?Answer: We stock several natural fiber materials and make virtually any size or shape to order onsite.
Question: Can we have our own materials bound?
Answer: We work with almost any flooring material to edge finish, back or border with multiple options.
Question: How did this company come about?Answer: What would later come to be known as Island Floors & Rugs, Ltd. (IFAR) opened its doors in 1979 as Designer Floor Fashion. In 1984, the company was renamed and moved headquarters to Pawleys
Island and set up shop in an old house on Hwy. 17 on the south end of the Island. At the time Pawleys was still a sleepy little summer place with the onslaught of new development was just beginning.
From Hilton Head north to Wilmington and inland to SC’s Capitol City, Columbia, custom inlay and specialty carpet installation initially kept the business very busy. Area rugs, wall-to-wall carpeting and stair runners – hand cut and assembled – were (and still are!) a specialty. IFAR continually developed new and improved methods to create signature "Sculptured" rugs for homes and businesses. A line of Clemson, Carolina and Citadel hand-carved area rugs were very popular in the early 1980s, now seagrass, sisal, & natural fibers are popular.
Since its inception, IFAR has become increasingly involved in installation projects that include:
• Wood flooring – pre-finished and finished on-site;
• Ceramic – baths, showers, floors, patios, and backsplashes; Commercial and residential
• Carpet – woven and hand-tufted carpets, Wilton wool and pattern carpets; and
• Specialty flooring – cork, floating floors, welded seams, stitched carpets and the like.
In 1989, property was acquired to build a new production area and showroom
facility. Hurricane Hugo had other plans and it was 1993 before construction actually began. With a larger and more modern facility, IFAR continued to expand their product line and the services they provided. By 1994, they were producing all sorts of specialty floorings, and fully sampled their showroom with quality vendors for wood, ceramic, vinyl, with an almost endless variety of flooring and unique products. Satisfied clients include commercial businesses, rental properties, medical facilities and private residences.
In 2012, IFAR is excited to announce new specialty products such as:
• Made-to-order "Floor-cloths" in unlimited patterns, styles and colors;
• Custom natural fiber rugs; Custom rag rugs; Custom Orientals
• Premium Leisure Hot Tubs and Infrared Saunas by SunDialSpa
• Walk-in Tubs and heated flooring by “Warmly Yours”
• 100% recycled tile, and natural wool products;
• Wood floor refurbishment services
• Easy-care lines that include LVT, Cork and pre-finished floors.